Metallurgist Job Description:
- Metallurgical failure investigations of fossil fuel boiler tubes to include a wide variety of industrial components.
- Perform creep analysis on high temperature superheater and reheater pressure parts.
- Resolve technical issues relating to material structure presented.
- Evaluation of destructive and non-destructive test results and support laboratory personnel with initial evaluation preparation in detail to outline the material evaluation plan.
- Metallurgical report preparation and technical discussion with clients both oral and written.
- Provide assistance to sales department when needed and ability to formulate a price quotation to clients based on our guidelines.
- Be self-starter with enthusiasm and possess the desire and ability to investigate, research and determine root cause of failure mechanisms.
- Ability to use and understand cutting equipment such as band saws, orbital grinders, belt sanders and use in a safe manner.
- Ability to follow SOP to run laboratory equipment.
- Ability and willingness to inspect boilers during training as well as busy periods.
Willing to write and present technical papers in a conference and seminar setting
- Bachelors degree in mechanical engineering with an emphasis in metallurgy or materials science discipline.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent knowledge in Microsoft Office.
- Strong technical background, understanding of material performance and degradation.
- Must possess excellent understanding of metallurgy and material processing with attention to detail in all aspects of the evaluation process including determining clients’ needs, developing price quotation,reading and understanding clients submittal forms, determining the material evaluation plan and drafting reports with evaluation results.
- In depth knowledge of metallography, fractography and material characterization to include grain structure.
- Ability to collaborate with clients ensuring their expectations are obtained and to foster new clients through networking and cold contacting.
- Travel requirements average 10% to support boiler inspection team.
Must be able to work overtime and holiday time if required.
- Fossil fuel boiler systems experience.
- A thorough understanding of destructive, non-destructive and corrosion testing.
- Two years of metallurgical laboratory or field experience.
- Previous experience in academic type metallurgical failure investigations.